Friday, October 12, 2007

Designs, the internets and an update.

"The internets," as we have so fondly begun calling it, is still not working. Thank goodness for "The internets" access here at work!
As a product of still having access problems, any orders received over the weekend will be processed on Monday and shipped on Tuesday.

We have officially hired Briana from BennyandRoo to design a logo, banner & avatar for us. I am so excited about this endeavor. Her work is so amazing and I think fits really well with what we are looking for in a design. I cannot wait to see what she has in mind for us! This is such an exhilarating time. It is really great to see something you love and care about flourish! While our Etsy shop doesn't show many 'sold' items, this week we have completed two custom orders and have 4 more custom orders in the works. Things are busy here and that is such a great feeling.


Here is *some* of the fabric that we've picked up in the last few weeks. As mentioned before, Mom is working on Carriage Quits for the shop and let me tell you the fabric is oh so sweet. We have some serious love for Michael Miller. It is soft and sweet and just, well, perfect! The coordinating fabrics are just as sweet and I cannot wait for the finished product - I know you guys are going to be in love too!

I have been on a serious quest for a great baby bootie pattern and I have not found anything that I am completely in love with. The snuggly booties in the shop are the best yet but I am not a fan of seams. I don't really like seams in anything I knit. I try to avoid them if at all possible. Seamless to me has that ease of fit that you don't seem to get when you sew a sweater or hat or booties together. Last night, after knitting a bootie with a new pattern and not really liking it, I decided to create my own pattern using inspiration from the parts of patterns that I really like. So far, so good. [Knitters - this is where I need your help] The pattern is knit in the round using the Magic Loop method so that it is completely seamless (YAY!) well...except for the sole of the bootie which will need to be sewn BUT I think I can avoid this by using the Provisional Cast-on [what are your thoughts on this?]. If I use the provisional cast-on I am thinking I can go back at the very end and graft the cast on edges together forming one seamless, bump free bootie. Also, I've set the pattern up so that you only need one stitch marker to mark the beginning of the round - the other increases, decreases are either at the beginning or the end of the needle so it reads *knit until the last 2 stitches, M1L, knit 2*. [Thoughts?] I am going to keep the roll brim on the bootie as I really do like it - it reminds me of chubby baby ankes and who doesn't love chubby baby ankles?! Also, if ya'll have not noticed yet, I am a fiber freak. This makes me super picky about what I knit with. I am not a huge fan of pure wool but give me some soft merino and I am in heaven. Sugar & Cream? Heck no, bring on the Blue Sky Alpacas and Cotton Tots. Acrylic? I can't do it. For easy washing I'll use a wool/acrylic blend - its soft, it has some give and you can toss it in the washer without worry. Cashmere blends...those are my favorite. I am using Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino with size 3 needles for these booties and it is a DREAM. I plan on finishing up the first bootie tonight on the train ride home and if all goes well, a pattern should be in place by next week. Any thoughts on pattern writing are welcome and accepted - I am a newbie at this! [Is the protocol to add 2 stitches for each increasing size??]

Lots to look forward to in the coming weeks and I hope that we'll be seeing more of you all. This weekend is shaping up to be a busy one with quality time with friends, football games and craft fairs. I will try to post when I can from where I can and hopefully we'll have the internets up and running by Monday. We appreciate you guys hanging in there with us.

xo

Sarah

No comments: